Step 3: Review ESS Electrical Code Installation Requirements
***NOTE: These guidelines are a living document and may be revised. Last updated: 9/16/21***
1. ESS is listed to UL9540 by a nationally recognized testing laboratory (currently UL, Intertek, CSA, etc…).
2. ESS is installed according to manufacturer’s installation instructions for the UL9540 listing.
3. The *standard electrical diagrams* can be used to accurately represent the ESS.
*Fill out the standard electrical diagram completely. If the electrical system is more complex than the standard electrical diagram can effectively communicate, the project does not meet the requirements for a simplified permit application and additional information may be necessary for the jurisdiction to process the permit application.
Supplemental Resources for ESS Electrical Code Requirements:
- Commentary on ESS Electrical Requirements
- National Simplified Residential PV and Energy Storage Permit Guidelines (Full Document: Steps 1 – 6)
- Commentary to the National Simplified Residential PV and Energy Storage Permit Guidelines (Full Document: Steps 1 – 6)