Step 2: Review PV System Electrical Code Installation Requirements
The goal of this Checklist is to provide a framework so that the electrical portion of the solar photovoltaic (PV) system is in compliance with the National Electrical Code (NEC). Two primary editions of the NEC are in use throughout the United States—the 2020 and 2017 editions. To avoid additional complexity, the provisions are written explicitly for single- and two-family buildings. ***NOTE: These guidelines are a living document and may be revised. Last updated: 9/16/21***
1. Major electrical components including PV modules, dc-to-dc converters, and inverters, are identified for use in PV systems.
2. Array mounting system UL2703 certified for bonding and grounding. Alternatively, the array mounting system may incorporate UL2703 grounding devices to bond separate exposed metal parts together or to the equipment grounding conductor.
3. The PV array consists of no more than 2 series strings per inverter input and no more than 4 series strings in total per inverter.
4. Field Installed PV array wiring meets the following requirements (all boxes must be checked):
a. All exposed PV source circuit wiring is no smaller than 12 AWG PV Wire or MFG Cable.
b. All PV source circuit wiring in raceway is no smaller than 12 AWG THWN-2, XHHW-2, or RHW-2.
5. Equipment is rated for the maximum dc voltage applied to the equipment (put N/A in all blanks that do not apply to the specific installation):
6. PV system circuits on buildings meet requirements for controlled conductors in 690.12.
7. The PV system disconnecting means meets the requirements of 690.13.
8. The *standard electrical diagrams* can accurately represent the PV System. (see diagrams)
*Fill out the standard electrical diagram completely. If the electrical system is more complex than the standard electrical diagram can effectively communicate, the project does not meet the requirements for a simplified permit application and additional information may be necessary for the jurisdiction to process the permit application.
Supplemental Resources for PV System Electrical Code Requirements: