Step 1: Gather Required Information for Solar Permit
In order to identify if a PV system installation is simple, needing only a basic review, the following information is required. It is likely that 75% or more of all residential systems will comply with the simple criteria in Steps 1, 2, and 3.
1. Obtain the Local Government’s Permit Application
– Permit application should include information about the project scope, project location, and the installer.
2. Develop the Site Plan
– Site plan should show location of major components on the property. The site plan drawing need not be exactly to scale, but it should represent relative location of components at site (see supplied example site plan).
– PV arrays in compliance with IRC fire setback requirements need no separate fire service review.
3. Obtain Electrical Worksheets
– Electrical worksheets should show: PV array configuration; wiring system; overcurrent protection; inverter; disconnects; required signs; AC connection to building. See supplied standard electrical diagrams:
4. Obtain Specification Sheets & Installation Manuals (if available)
– For all major PV system components such as: