Designation Level: SolSmart Gold
Year Designated: Silver 2019 / Gold 2021
In Illinois and nationwide, SolSmart-designated communities are opening up solar markets and encouraging a dramatic expansion of solar energy.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
- Provided a streamlined permitting pathway for small PV systems
- Created a streamlined process to approve certain solar permit applications over the counter
Woodridge’s designation as a SolSmart Gold community is a testament to our commitment to make it easy for residents and businesses to invest in their community. Easy access to renewable energy makes for a cleaner and greener environment for all of us.
- Mayor Gina Cunningham