Wood County worked with a SolSmart partner to conduct several solar feasibility studies for county facilities. The initial techno-economic analysis resulted in the Nepco Park solar array, the first county-owned solar project. Another solar project from the feasibility study has been added to the county’s Capital Improvement Plan for 2022. The county will also be home to a 150 MW solar farm under construction, which will incorporate pollinator-friendly habitat.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
- Provided a streamlined permitting pathway for small PV systems