Designation Level: SolSmart Gold
Year Designated: 2018
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers.
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
- Provided a streamlined permitting pathway for small PV systems
Achieving the Gold designation demonstrates our commitment to supporting locally sourced, renewable and clean energy. Promoting solar technology also ensures our local renewable-energy technical college graduates have job opportunities in their field—a triple win!
- Mayor Zachary J. Vruwink