Designation Level: SolSmart Silver
Year Designated: 2018
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers.
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
We are excited about Wellesley’s SolSmart Silver designation and hope that our town’s solar-friendly status encourages more Wellesley residences and businesses to go solar. We’re very fortunate to have strong support from the Wellesley Municipal Light Plant to help make access easier for those who want to add to our community’s growing solar infrastructure.”
- Laura Olton, Chair of Wellesley’s Sustainable Energy Committee