Upper Darby Township
Designation Level: SolSmart Silver
Year Designated: 2023
Upper Darby Township trained their staff in permitting and inspection best practices, updated local zoning codes, and posted an online map of solar in the community, among other solar achievements.
- Standard Pathway PI-1 (sv3): PI-1: Post an online checklist detailing the required permit(s), submittals, and steps of your communitys permitting process for small rooftop solar PV.
- Standard Pathway PI-2 (sv3): PI-2: Train permitting staff on best practices for permitting solar PV and/or solar and storage systems. Training must have occurred in the past five years.
- Standard Pathway PI-3 (sv3): PI-3: Train inspection staff on best practices for inspecting solar PV and/or solar and storage systems. Training must have occurred within the past five years.
- Standard Pathway PI-10 (sv3): PI-10: Demonstrate that residential permit fees for solar PV are $500 or less.
- Standard Pathway PI-13 (sv3): PI-13: Require no more than two inspections for small rooftop solar PV.
- Standard Pathway PZ-1 (sv3): PZ-1: Review zoning requirements and identify restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development. Compile findings in a memo. Examples include: height restrictions, set-back requirements, screening requirements, visibility re
- Standard Pathway PZ-2 (sv3): PZ-2: Present PZ-1 memo findings to planning commission or relevant body.
- Standard Pathway PZ-4 (sv3): PZ-4: Post an online document from the Planning/Zoning Department that states accessory use solar PV is allowed by-right in all major zones. (e.g. via a zoning determination letter).
- Standard Pathway PZ-17 (sv3): PZ-17: Post an online fact sheet that provides an overview of what zoning allows for solar PV under what conditions (e.g. types and sizes of solar systems permitted, the processes required, and other relevant information).
- Standard Pathway PZ-18 (sv3): PZ-18: Train planning and zoning staff on best practices in planning and zoning for solar PV. Training must have occurred in the past five years.
- Standard Pathway GO-4 (sv3): GO-4: Conduct feasibility analysis for solar PV on local government facilities and/or local government-controlled land.
- Standard Pathway GO-5 (sv3): GO-5: Install solar PV on local government facilities and/or local government-controlled land.
- Standard Pathway CE-1 (sv3): CE-1: Post a solar landing page on local governments website with information that may include the communitys solar goals, educational materials and tools that promote solar, and resources for solar development (e.g. permitting checklist, application fo
- Standard Pathway CE-3 (sv3): CE-3: Post online resources about residential and commercial solar PV financing options and incentives.
- Standard Pathway CE-8 (sv3): CE-8: Post an online solar map for your community.