Designation Level: SolSmart Silver
Year Designated: 2018
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
As a SolSmart Silver designee, the town is receiving national recognition for implementing programs such as its Solarize Tonawanda initiative and solar permit process, which made it faster, easier and cheaper to go solar.
- William Conrad, Town of Tonawanda Councilman