Tigard, Oregon undertook a number of exciting initiatives to earn SolSmart Silver, including providing a PACE financing program, updating zoning, permitting, and inspection in line with national best practices, posting information online to make it easier to access, and more.
- Posted an online checklist detailing the required permit(s), submittals, and steps of the community’s permitting process for residential rooftop solar PV.
- Trained permitting and inspection staff on the best practices regarding solar PV and/or solar-plus-storage systems.
- Demonstrated that solar permit fees are $500 or less.
- Post public metrics on the status of solar installations in the community.
- Provided an online process for solar PV inspection scheduling.
- Reviewed zoning requirements and identify restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development.
- Posted an online document from the Planning/Zoning Department that states accessory use solar PV is allowed by-right in all major zones.
- Ensured the zoning ordinance language does not include intentional or unintentional barriers to accessory use rooftop solar PV.
- Posted an online fact sheet that provides an overview of what zoning allows for solar PV under what conditions and in which districts.
- Conducted feasibility study for solar PV on government-owned land.
- Posted online resources about state solar policies, financing options and incentives, solar metrics, and more.
- Provided a PACE financing program that included solar PV as an eligible technology.