Designation Level: SolSmart Gold
Year Designated: 2019
In 2019, SolSmart attended the 11th Annual Southeast Florida Regional Climate Leadership Summit in Key West, Florida. This event gathered elected local government officials and administrators, private sector leaders, and state and federal agencies to discuss Southeast Florida’s climate leadership and critical programs to ensure future resilience in response to the challenges presented by climate change.
SolSmart Advisor Jennifer Barenholtz provided technical assistance to numerous communities in Florida, including Tamarac, under an engagement with the South Florida Regional Planning Council (SFRPC). SFRPC was selected to host these Florida communities and work them to meet their solar energy development goals.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
- Provided a streamlined permitting pathway for small PV systems
- Created a streamlined process to approve certain solar permit applications over the counter