Designation Level: SolSmart Silver
Year Designated: Bronze 2022 / Silver 2023
The Sustainable States Network has been instrumental in recruiting communities to join SolSmart. For instance, Sustainable CT led four participating towns (Ashford, Bloomfield, Manchester, and Stonington) to SolSmart designation in 2022.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Provided an online process for solar PV inspection scheduling.
- Trained inspection staff on best practices for inspecting solar PV and/or solar and storage systems. Training must have occurred within the past five years.
- Trained permitting staff on best practices for permitting solar PV and/or solar and storage systems. Training must have occurred in the past five years.
- Include specific solar PV goals, metrics, and/or strategies in the most current version of relevant local plans (e.g. energy plan, climate plan, comprehensive plan).
- Post an online document from the Planning/Zoning Department that states accessory use solar PV is allowed by-right in all major zones. (e.g. via a zoning determination letter).