South Bay Cities Council of Governments
Designation Level: SolSmart Gold
Year Designated: 2019
Nestled between the Pacific Ocean and the City of Los Angeles, the South Bay region is home to pristine beaches and business parks, oil refineries and a nature preserve … and now eight new SolSmart designated cities! In 2019, eight communities and the South Bay Cities Council of Governments (SBCCOG) all earned SolSmart designation for their cutting-edge work advancing solar energy, along with related technologies like electric vehicles (EVs).
SolSmart staff recognized these communities at the SBCCOG Meeting of the Board in Redondo Beach, California.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Made solar metrics publicly available
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
- Provided a streamlined permitting pathway for small PV systems