South Bay Cities Council of Governments
Nestled between the Pacific Ocean and the City of Los Angeles, the South Bay region is home to pristine beaches and business parks, oil refineries and a nature preserve … and now eight new SolSmart designated cities! In 2019, eight communities and the South Bay Cities Council of Governments (SBCCOG) all earned SolSmart designation for their cutting-edge work advancing solar energy, along with related technologies like electric vehicles (EVs).
SolSmart staff recognized these communities at the SBCCOG Meeting of the Board in Redondo Beach, California.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Made solar metrics publicly available
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
- Provided a streamlined permitting pathway for small PV systems