Designation Level: SolSmart Silver
Year Designated: 2017
The Metropolitan Mayors Caucus (MMC), an organization of Chicago-area communities, has helped numerous municipalities achieve Gold, Silver, or Bronze SolSmart designation. MMC is focused on regional cooperation, which proved a successful framework for their SolSmart cohort. Collaboration and resource-sharing were key to the group’s success in bringing these communities together to make it faster, easier, and more affordable to go solar.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers.
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
By making our processes more efficient, we are acting on our commitment to progress by welcoming innovation that benefits our community in the form of new development, job opportunities and the ability to pursue additional sustainable initiatives. Since earning the Solsmart Silver designation in 2018, the Village of Schaumburg has issued more than 130 roof-top solar permits, representing an investment of more than $4 million in the community as participants have added more than 2,200kw of solar energy.
- Schaumburg Village President Tom Dailly