Designation Level: SolSmart Gold
Year Designated: 2016
- Created a streamlined process to approve certain solar permit applications over the counter
- Created Solar Santa Monica: A free service providing technical assistance to homeowners including energy efficiency recommendations, solar potential analysis, bid comparison, and financial analysis
- Installed solar PV on local facilities, totaling 87kW on municipal buildings including the Pico Branch Library and others
- Provided Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) financing for eligible properties
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
- Provided a streamlined permitting pathway for small PV systems
Santa Monica has ambitious environmental goals, including carbon neutrality by 2050. Solar is an essential tool to reduce our carbon emissions. We support solar by installing it at public facilities, creating incentives for residents and businesses to do likewise, adopting policies like our Reach Code and our most recent action to join a public power agency to procure electricity for our residents and businesses with a much greater proportion of renewables than provided by our local utility.
- Ted Winterer, Mayor, Santa Monica, Calif.