Designation Level: SolSmart Gold
Year Designated: 2017
- Coordinated utility and city inspections for solar PV, reducing the total number of inspections needed.
- Installed or leased land for solar development on under-utilized properties like landfills, including a 1.5 MW installation at Sutters Landing Park.
- Integrated solar PV with other distributed or emerging technologies including electric vehicles in an 800kW installation at South Area Corporation Yard.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
- Provided a streamlined permitting pathway for small PV systems
- Created a streamlined process to approve certain solar permit applications over the counter