Designation Level: SolSmart Gold
Year Designated: Silver 2017 / Gold 2021
Richmond, Virginia received a SolSmart special recognition for their work on solar permitting and inspection at the 2018 ICMA Conference.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers.
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
Richmond is proud to receive SolSmart designation for our efforts to promote solar energy. We’re committed to expanding the growth of this clean, renewable form of energy and to making it accessible to everyone within our community.
- Alicia Zatcoff, Sustainability Manager, City of Richmond