Designation Level: SolSmart Silver
Year Designated: 2022
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers.
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
Making the decision to switch to solar should be as effortless as possible. I am so proud of this designation for the City of Reno, as it illustrates our commitment to creating diverse job opportunities, while also protecting our environment.
- Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve