Rancho Palos Verdes
Designation Level: SolSmart Gold
Year Designated: 2019
In 2019, Rancho Palos Verdes joined seven other area communities and the South Bay Cities Council of Governments (SBCCOG) to earn SolSmart designation for their cutting-edge work advancing solar energy, along with related technologies like electric vehicles (EVs).
Among its other accomplishments, Rancho Palos Verdes completed a feasibility analysis for a 40 kW solar carport with integrated EV chargers.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
- Provided a streamlined permitting pathway for small PV systems
- Created a streamlined process to approve certain solar permit applications over the counter