The city of Orlando, Florida is a SolSmart Gold designee that stands out for surpassing ‘solar-ready’ and aiming to make solar a linchpin of the community. Since 2007, the city has striven to become a national leader on sustainability, implementing dozens of initiatives that range from LEED certification for municipal buildings to incentives for residential solar installations.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Hosted a community “Solarize” campaign, allowing residents to benefit from group discounts and affordable solar financing
- Encouraged low-to-moderate income participation in community solar initiatives via the Solar and Energy Loan Fund (SELF)
- Provided Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) financing for eligible propertie