Designation Level: SolSmart Gold
Year Designated: Bronze 2016 / Gold 2017
The city of Orlando, Florida is a SolSmart Gold designee that stands out for surpassing ‘solar-ready’ and aiming to make solar a linchpin of the community. Since 2007, the city has striven to become a national leader on sustainability, implementing dozens of initiatives that range from LEED certification for municipal buildings to incentives for residential solar installations.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Hosted a community “Solarize” campaign, allowing residents to benefit from group discounts and affordable solar financing
- Encouraged low-to-moderate income participation in community solar initiatives via the Solar and Energy Loan Fund (SELF)
- Provided Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) financing for eligible propertie
The City of Orlando is dedicated to becoming a leader in solar energy in the Sunshine State. We recently launched the Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) program to give our residents and businesses more funding options to make clean energy upgrades like solar to their property. The SolSmart Bronze designation signifies our strong commitment and will encourage more business owners and residents to use renewable solar energy to further our goal of making Orlando one of the most sustainable cities in America.
- Mayor Buddy Dyer