Designation Level: SolSmart Gold
Year Designated: 2018
Oak Park and other Chicago-area communities were honored for their SolSmart achievements at a 2019 event at Argonne National Laboratory.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
- Provided a streamlined permitting pathway for small PV systems
- Created a streamlined process to approve certain solar permit applications over the counter
The Village of Oak Park is proud to receive the SolSmart Gold Designation. This award is a testament to the dedication of Village employees who are working with the residents and businesses in our community to build innovative solar projects to help reduce our carbon footprint.
- Cara Pavlicek, Village Manager