Designation Level: SolSmart Gold
Year Designated: Silver 2020 / Gold 2021
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
Northbrook is proud to receive the SolSmart Gold designation from the Solar Foundation for the strides made by our Village staff with assistance from businesses and residents to foster the implementation and growth of solar energy market conditions in our local community. This achievement aligns well with the recently adopted Climate Action Plan and we are committed to expansion of the solar energy market and envision a bright and sunny future for our community in this regard!
- Jeremy Reynolds, the Chairman of our Sustainability Commission: