Designation Level: SolSmart Gold
Year Designated: 2017
- Hosted a community “Solarize” campaign, Solarize Mass Natick, allowing residents to benefit from group discounts and affordable solar financing.
- Installed solar PV on local facilities, totaling 935 kW across six facilities including Natick High School and Wilson Middle School, among others.
- Demonstrated that the community’s installed per capita capacity, at 192 watts/person as of June 2017, is above the top 20 percent of states (>99watts/person).
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
- Provided a streamlined permitting pathway for small PV systems
- Created a streamlined process to approve certain solar permit applications over the counter