Designation Level: SolSmart Silver
Year Designated: 2019
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers.
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
Montgomery County is proud to receive this Silver designation from the U.S. Department of Energy for working with our municipalities, industry and our residents to highlight solar energy as a viable and efficient means for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and reducing costs. This effort dovetails perfectly with the County’s commitment to transition to renewable energy for heating and powering all county-owned buildings and vehicles by 2050.
- Valerie A. Arkoosh, MD, MPH, Chair of Montgomery County Board of Commissioners