Designation Level: SolSmart Gold
Year Designated: 2020
Leon County became the first community in the Florida panhandle to receive SolSmart designation, and one of the first counties in Florida to achieve SolSmart Gold.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
- Provided a streamlined permitting pathway for small PV systems