Designation Level: SolSmart Gold
Year Designated: 2018
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
- Provided a streamlined permitting pathway for small PV systems
The City of Las Vegas has been a recognized leader in its commitment to sustainable energy for more than two decades and has prioritized municipal and community renewables through the City Council’s Community Resilience, Net-Zero Energy and Sustainability Strategy to transition to a clean energy future. SolSmart is recognition of the City’s efforts to proactively plan and lead on renewable energy and sustainability for generations to come.
- Marco Velotta, City of Las Vegas, Office of Sustainability