Designation Level: SolSmart Silver
Year Designated: 2022
- Installed solar systems at a local fire station and community recreation center.
- Construction underway for a solar EV charging system at the local fire station.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers.
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
In 2021 the City, in collaboration with SolSmart, reevaluated its development code, permitting process, and solar outreach efforts. Through this process, the City was awarded the designation of a SolSmart Silver community. This designation continues to affirm City staff and elected officials' dedication to a more ecologically friendly community.
- City of Laramie Website