Designation Level: SolSmart Bronze
Year Designated: 2017
- Engaged and educated local residents and businesses on solar energy
- In partnership with Fox Valley Network, the county hosted multiple solar-focused educational events and leads a regional solar task force that continues to pursue opportunities for expediting local solar development
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
Kane County’s leadership and commitment to renewable energy intersects with recent efforts in Illinois to lead in these areas, the most notable being the Illinois Future Energy Jobs Act, which will bring over $100 million annually for solar development. Participation in SolSmart better positions Kane County to take advantage of this investment and it marks the region as a friendly, cost-effective place to do solar business.
- Robert Nunamaker, executive board chairman of the Metropolitan Mayors Caucus