Designation Level: SolSmart Bronze
Year Designated: 2023
Erie, Colorado undertook a number of initiatives to earn their SolSmart Bronze designation, including upgrading zoning requirements and making information more accessible to the public. The city also has emphasized expanding and incentivizing solar energy in its Sustainability Master Plan, which informs local government policy in the long term.
Erie achieved SolSmart criteria across the Permitting and Inspection, Planning and Zoning, Government Operations, and Community Engagement categories.
- Standard Pathway PI-1 (sv3): PI-1: Post an online checklist detailing the required permit(s), submittals, and steps of your communitys permitting process for small rooftop solar PV.
- Standard Pathway PI-6 (sv3): PI-6: Require no more than one permit application form for a small rooftop solar PV system.
- Standard Pathway PI-8 (sv3): PI-8: Provide an online process for solar PV permit submission and approval.
- Standard Pathway PI-10 (sv3): PI-10: Demonstrate that residential permit fees for solar PV are $500 or less.
- Standard Pathway PI-12 (sv3): PI-12: Post solar PV inspection requirements online, including the inspection process and what details inspectors will review.
- Standard Pathway PI-13 (sv3): PI-13: Require no more than two inspections for small rooftop solar PV.
- Standard Pathway PZ-1 (sv3): PZ-1: Review zoning requirements and identify restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development. Compile findings in a memo. Examples include: height restrictions, set-back requirements, screening requirements, visibility re
- Standard Pathway PZ-14 (sv3): PZ-14: Require new construction to be solar ready in at least one zoning district by adopting Appendix U (International Code Council), Appendix RB (International Energy Conservation Code), or another mechanism.
- Standard Pathway PZ-20 (sv3): PZ-20: Include specific solar PV goals, metrics, and/or strategies in the most current version of relevant local plans (e.g. energy plan, climate plan, comprehensive plan).
- Standard Pathway GO-5 (sv3): GO-5: Install solar PV on local government facilities and/or local government-controlled land.
- Standard Pathway CE-3 (sv3): CE-3: Post online resources about residential and commercial solar PV financing options and incentives.
- Standard Pathway CE-11 (sv3): CE-11: Demonstrate local government support for local solar projects through speeches, press releases, opinion articles, etc.