SolSmart Bronze designee DeKalb County, Georgia, was interested in installing solar to cut costs. SolSmart helped the county identify the most feasible locations to maximize its investment and savings for local taxpayers. DeKalb County eventually installed over 7,000 solar panels on the Hickory Ridge Landfill.
- Created an online permitting checklist and made inspection requirements for PV Solar available online, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Offered an online process for permitting submission and approval on the Planning and Sustainability section of the DeKalb County website
- Conducted a feasibility analysis for solar PV on the Hickory Ridge Landfill
- Hosted a community “Solarize” campaign, Solarize Decatur-DeKalb, allowing residents to benefit from group discounts and affordable solar financing