Designation Level: SolSmart Bronze
Year Designated: 2017
SolSmart Bronze designee DeKalb County, Georgia, was interested in installing solar to cut costs. SolSmart helped the county identify the most feasible locations to maximize its investment and savings for local taxpayers. DeKalb County eventually installed over 7,000 solar panels on the Hickory Ridge Landfill.
- Created an online permitting checklist and made inspection requirements for PV Solar available online, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Offered an online process for permitting submission and approval on the Planning and Sustainability section of the DeKalb County website
- Conducted a feasibility analysis for solar PV on the Hickory Ridge Landfill
- Hosted a community “Solarize” campaign, Solarize Decatur-DeKalb, allowing residents to benefit from group discounts and affordable solar financing
I am proud of DeKalb’s track record in sustainability and excited that we are continuing to increase our capabilities. The results are showing that more of our citizens are interested in the benefits of solar energy.
- Kathie Gannon, DeKalb County Commissioner