Designation Level: SolSmart Silver
Year Designated: 2019
Deerfield Beach installed a 15 kW rooftop solar system on its Central City Campus facility.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers.
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
The City of Deerfield Beach is constantly working to promote sustainability within the community and to lead by example. By going through the SolSmart designation process, we’re now giving our residents and businesses some of the tools they need to be successful.
- Hillary Silverstone, Sustainability Coordinator