Designation Level: SolSmart Silver
Year Designated: 2021
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers.
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
“We are proud of the work we have done to become a SolSmart city. We want to make solar accessible for our residents and business owners, and the code updates and permitting practices that we are implementing will help pave the way. Coon Rapids is committed to encouraging solar development into the future. Installing renewable energy systems on the local level gets our residents engaged in sustainability and ensures that our city is resilient.”
- Olivia Dorow Hovland, Sustainability Planner