Centre Region Council of Governments
Designation Level: SolSmart Silver
Year Designated: 2022
- The Centre Region is working with 15 organizations including the municipalities, school district, and several authorities in a collaborative effort to develop a solar power purchase agreement, which would allow the organizations to obtain solar-powered electricity at competitive rates locked in for the next 25 years. Read more here.
- In late 2021, the region adopted a Climate Action and Adaptation Plan, which calls for 10 percent of homes and 5 percent of local businesses to be powered by renewable energy by 2035.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers.
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV