Approximately 60 communities in Illinois have been designated SolSmart Gold, Silver, or Bronze, more than any other state. The Metropolitan Mayors Caucus worked in partnership with SolSmart to recruit these communities and help them meet the requirements for designation.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
- Provided a streamlined permitting pathway for small PV systems