Designation Level: SolSmart Silver
Year Designated: 2018
“With a national record 20 communities now designated ‘SolSmart’, Colorado municipalities are working to ensure their citizens continue to benefit from solar energy,” said Mike Kruger, President & CEO of Colorado Solar Energy Industries Association. “SolSmart is helping Colorado municipalities streamline permitting processes, unlock local finance options, and implement other best practices to make solar more affordable and accessible.”
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers.
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
SolSmart helped to align our permitting process with our goals for 100 percent renewable electricity community wide by 2035. It streamlined work with our contractors and helped make our Solarize Summit residential PV program a success with over 20 systems installed in 2019.
- Jessie Burley, Sustainability Coordinator