Designation Level: SolSmart Silver
Year Designated: 2022
Blaine County, Idaho can point to a wide range of accomplishments that will encourage local solar energy growth. These actions include streamlining and simplifying the solar permit process, making information on solar easily accessible to the community, and reviewing zoning requirements that could pose obstacles to solar development.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers.
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
Solar energy is one solution the whole community can support. It can provide clean, reliable, and affordable electricity that can power the Wood River Valley’s government facilities, homes, and businesses. Furthermore, solar energy is now the cheapest form of electricity generation in the United States.
- from the Blaine County Government website