Designation Level: SolSmart Silver
Year Designated: 2017
- Created a solar landing page with information on community’s solar goals and local resources for solar development.
- Created and published job training and placement opportunities for solar in coordination with local community colleges.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers.
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
The process was very helpful in helping our staff understand solar better and to organize the information on our website.
- Holly Wallace, Austin Planning and Zoning Administrator