As part of their designation, Amesville, Ohio (with a population of around 200, the smallest designated SolSmart community), provided residents with important information on state laws and incentives around solar, consumer protection education and resources, and worked with the regional organization to facilitate solar development, among other achievements.
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers.
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar development
- Engaged and communicated with the utility on community goals for solar PV, net metering, and
- Engaged with regional organizations on advancing solar policies in the region including, but not limited
to, unified permitting processes and group procurement opportunities.
- Conducted a review of state policies related to protecting rights of property owners to install solar and solar
system owners right to sunlight on their property, then made that information available to residents.
- Provided consumer protection resources on solar which help consumers make informed solar PV purchasing decisions