Designation Level: SolSmart Silver
Year Designated: 2017
- Eliminated excess inspections and provided resources on active installers in the area and local incentives for solar
- Created an online permitting checklist, increasing transparency for community members and solar installers.
- Reviewed local zoning codes and identified restrictions that intentionally or unintentionally prohibit solar PV development
- Allowed solar by-right accessory use in all zones (so solar installations don’t require special permits or hearings)
- Cross-trained both inspection and permitting staff on solar PV
This is all part of the city’s long-term initiative to become more sustainable through advancing opportunities for job growth and healthy living in the local economy. This designation is one step we have taken to making solar installation a more attractive and affordable option for homes and businesses by lowering cost and removing barriers to installation.
- Sven Peterson, Ames City Administrator