The 2019 ICMA Annual Conference made clear that local governments are recognizing the power of solar energy, giving awards to numerous SolSmart designees for their achievements. That included Albuquerque, New Mexico, which received an award for the city’s work on solar rights.
Some the criteria achieved include:
- Post an online statement confirming a three-business day turnaround time for small rooftop
solar PV .
- Codify in the zoning ordinance that accessory use solar PV is explicitly allowed by-right in all
- Train inspection staff on best practices for inspecting solar PV and/or solar and storage systems.
- Demonstrate that residential permit fees for solar PV are $500 or less.
- Provide an online process for solar PV inspection scheduling.
- Draft new or updated language and provide a timeline for the inclusion of specific solar PV goals, metrics, and/or strategies into existing and/or future plans.
- Install solar PV on local government facilities and/or local government-controlled land.
- Distribute solar job training and career opportunities in coordination with local colleges and/or workforce development organizations.